Problem running/using EffectGenerator in XNA 1.0

Topics: User Forum
Dec 25, 2006 at 4:17 PM
Hi, I downloaded the EffectGeneratorSetup (from november '06), installed it correctly, made a testproject, added a simple.fx file, modified its properties to not use XNA's content processing and set its Custom Tool to "effectgenerator". When I hit "build" I get:

--------
Custom tool error: The following unexpected exception caused code generation to fail: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=f48fa5f25d27e8ff' or one of its dependencies. Het systeem kan het opgegeven bestand niet vinden.
File name: 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=f48fa5f25d27e8ff'
at EffectGenerator.EffectGenerator.GenerateCodeForFile()
at EffectGenerator.EffectGenerator.GenerateCode(String contents)

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog.
--------

Since the installed version is from November '06 (from the time of the betas), and I am using the latest XNA 1.0 (not the beta!), I'm guessing this has to do with a version mismatch of XNA's framework assembly. Maybe you have to rebuild it for usage with the final XNA 1.0. Anyway, I'm going to try to rebuild it myself also. I'll let you know if that fixes the problem.

I like this project by the way :) (Well the idea of the project, since I don't have it up and running yet ;)) Are you still working on it, or is it abandoned/cancelled? (I saw that the latest issues/news/releases were from november)

cya, Gloei

Coordinator
Dec 26, 2006 at 9:47 PM
I have it running on XNA 1.0 and the Xbox 360 plus a few other fixes and improvements. The project isn't dead, just a little stalled for the sake of my other projects (my latest version works enough for my needs).

I'll get going and publish a new release asap.
Coordinator
Dec 26, 2006 at 10:09 PM
Ok, a new version is up. Please let me know if you have any difficulity installing or using this version.
Dec 28, 2006 at 6:46 PM
Thanks for your fast reaction. I just downloaded your two new release (v1.2 binaries and sources). Strangely enough I couldn't just install using the installer (the .exe). When I ran it, it gave an error message saying that it couldnt find "EffectGeneratorSetup.msi". I only downloaded a .exe, no msi was included. Ohw and I didnt have an older version installed, I double checked that :)

Anyway, I was able to build a new assembly and a fresh installer from your sources. And I could install EffectGenerator using that fresh installer (which consists of a setup.exe and a EffectGeneratorSetup.msi). So I'm guessing you have to bundle the .msi together with the .exe... But that's only a guess, I'm not very much into Windows installer.

But, the EffectGenerator tool works now! :) I succesfully generator my first shader class file out of simple shader. Ohw and it correctly handled (=ignored) all my weird SAS includes and annotations in the shader file. Which is nice! :)

I think I'm going to use EffectGenerator a lot more often now. I was already using the default approach (by accessing the Parameters array), but that's just not the way to go.

Thanks for your help! Keep up the good work.
Coordinator
Dec 30, 2006 at 3:33 AM
I'm glad you got it working. Thanks for letting me know about the missing MSI, I've updated the release.